Why Get A Puppy From JayDee's PHS?
Every person asks the very same question before making a decision which "brand" to purchase, providing there are
more than one choice to make to get that particular item...
So, of course, logic has it people should ask: what is so great about this breeder and breeding program that I want to get a puppy from
JayDee's not "x" other kennel/breeder? This is one of the most frequently asked questions asked of me; though being presented to me in at least 100 different ways. Everyone has some form of an idea of what they're looking for in a puppy, but not always knowing the "right" questions to ask.
So, here's an overview answering many of those questions about what sets JayDee's pups/dogs above and apart from the majority...
Dogs in JayDee's breeding program are healthy, smart and beautiful:
- All of JayDee's breeding stock has been health tested for a minimum of: hip status by the PennHIP and OFA methods for hips and the OFA method for elbows; most typically have tested for and passed OFA Cardiac and Patella exams, and also have been certified to have Full Dentition. Some of our dogs have also passed CERF and Shoulder OCD exams. Now that we have DNA testing available as a tool, they are MDR1 DNA tested, and OFA DM DNA tested, unless they are "clear by parentage", which means that both the parent dogs are tested to be genetically clear/normal so the puppies can only be clear/normal too; as well as being participants in various genetic studies/research. You will notice that our older/retired dogs don't have all of these listed clearances that our younger/current dogs do-- it's because we continually strive to "do better" with sucessive generations, and continually work to improve the ability to prove the health of our breeding program.
- All of JayDee's breeding stock has earned at least one title (usually a performance title if at only one end of their name); more often, they have both conformation Championships/Grand Championships AND performance title/s in one or more disciplines.
We are Proud of each and every one; and best yet, EVERY dog is a house pet and loved companion!
Puppies from our program showing in conformation have attained: multiple Best/Reserve Best in Shows & Total Dog Qualifiers; conformation Champions & Grand Champions.
With our whites, multiple AWSA/WSCC Select awards at their respective Nationals as well as top honors at UWSC national specialty, as well as the honor of even owning/training/handling a Top Ten ALL BREED and history making dog in the UKC.
With our "regular/traditional" colored GSDs, Top AKC National Owner Handled Series end-of-year rankings, and specialty GSDCA awards.
In the performance venue, our dogs & pups have titles/awards/certifications in: Traditional Obedience, Rally Obedience, Herding, Agility, Nose Work, Lure Coursing, Protection, and more- regularly earning
top placements and High in Trials, even including an invite to the National Rally Invitational!
Many have also become Therapy Dogs and Canine Good Citizens. Others are working Catch/Narcotics/Protection/Search for a living. A select number of our puppies have grown-up to become service dogs for people with a variety of disabilities; specialising in scent dectection, i.e., diabetic alert, seizure detection/alert/response; as well as aiding people with other conditions such as mobility assistance.
A Bit On JayDee's Puppy Raising Philosophy:
- All our resident dogs are full-time house pets as well as being our show/performance dogs, so naturally, our puppies are born in the heart of our home and stay in the house their entire time with us. We feel this is important, since the puppies are always right
there to be held and petted and cuddled and otherwise generally handled & socialized by everyone coming through our
doors. With their only knowledge of life being in a clean, happy, comfortable, & loving environment, with a family of well-adjusted dogs as well as caring people involved in their raising, they easily stay happy, clean and confident in their permanent family's home with continued good husbandry practises and rearing.
- Even though the puppies already have the advantage socially of starting life as house pets, we perform the exercises in the Early Neurological Stimulation program, a program developed by the US military to ensure stable, adaptable dogs right from the start.
We also temperament test via different methods, including the CARAT evaluation method, a novel animal evaluation system that breaks down elements of temperament and evaluates the traits/elements that contribute to the overall behaviour; differentating traits at a fine level rather than using the "big-box" assesments which are crude in comparison in describing (& differentating) the motivitaions behind/of an individual's behavior. To evaluate with the CARAT method one has to attend extensive & expensive schooling to become a master evaluator... While unfortunately the common testing methods (such as PAT and PAWS) are often an inaccurate snapshot of who that puppy is to become, because while the big-bucket tests are available for anyone to perform, they are therefore highly subjective by the tester and their experience level.
- As we are participants in several genetics studies, we work hard to stay up to date and informed about veterinary medicine and research advances; an easier objective with myself being intimately involved as a veterinary medical professional, in both conventional (Western) and Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine.
We actively attempt to balance all the new information coming in along with the tried and true, even using some of "those old-wives' tales" that really do work. We feel that balancing alternative/integrative/natural and traditional veterinary medicine is the wisest approach.
We take the genetic health of our dogs/puppies seriously! Breeding with longevity in mind as a very important genetic trait, ALL PUPPIES ARE GUARANTEED A GENETIC LIFE SPAN OF 9 YEARS IN WRITING OR MONEY BACK FOR EACH YEAR THEY FALL SHORT. Ask any other breeder if they offer such a guarantee and stand behind their puppies the same as we do!
We also practice the reduced vaccination schedule, and are very excited for 2016 when the
Rabies Challenge Fund completes another phase to prove that the standard rabies shot given today actually is effective for many more years than 1 or 3 licensing as the laws are currently. Can hardly wait for the proof!
- Every JayDee's PHS puppy has a home for life if the need ever arises that your dog from us is being displaced for any reason and needs to "come home". Every puppy comes
with a no-questions-asked return policy for so long as he or she is alive.
We also offer boarding in our home with the family, both short & long term at a reduced rate for all JayDee's puppies.
Some of what you get when purchasing one of JayDee's puppies:
Other Pertinent Information...
- While we have never publicly published our prices in the past, due to the economic state of the world we feel it has become necessary to publish our current prices. Family Companion/Pet/Performance Puppies (sold on AKC Limited Registration and typically on sterilization contract -except exemptions allowed by breeder-) are $1500, with discounts given for "repeat offenders" (read: repeat buyers! ;) and on breeder's consideration.
Show/Breed Potential Puppies are typically $2000-2500, with variance in price being determined by purchase contract, the highest price reserved for 1st pick of each sex in the litter sold outright; and the lower end, being for puppies sold on co-ownership or other contract.
Our current deposit to guarantee your puppy is $400. While we occasionally take payment plans on puppies, the pup is expected to be at least 50% paid before leaving; all registration papers WILL BE WITHHELD UNTIL FINAL PAYMENT IS RECEIVED. Special contract REQUIRED for this option, with all payment arrangements made in advance.
- Yes, we do accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express (both debit & credit cards - plus a small fee in additon to purchase price which is incurred by the card services); also electronic bank transfer, and of course, old-fashioned cash. NO, we don't take personal checks anymore as final payment. Sadly, too many people have ruined that privilege for the rest by bouncing their checks.. However, we will take a Certified Cashiers' Check in advance payment only (before puppy goes home), as those have turned up fraudulent as well. >:(
Puppy Deposits are not accepted until confirmation of pregnancy, and on a limited basis until the litter is on the ground, making our best efforts to be sure there will be a puppy available for you.
Approved reservations are expected to place deposits at time of birth or upon approval (if after birth) to hold your puppy. No puppies will be held without a deposit under any circumstances-- it is not fair for the puppy to wait for people who never pick him/her up, nor is it fair for me to hold a puppy who would otherwise have a home.
Puppies are released to go to their homes at 8 weeks of age. Too much important learning & socialization takes place within the litter from the 6th to the 8th week; that period is an irreplacable time of learning how to be a dog -- how to act around other dogs, and, how to interact appropriately & bonding with people. Not to mention, that in most states, including Wisconsin, it is ILLEGAL to separate a puppy from its mother & litter mates before that age...
- NO WE DO NOT SHIP PUPPIES. NO EXCEPTIONS. It is actually similar (often cheaper) in cost to fly in, meet myself & the Pack, then fly home with your new puppy carry-on, than it is to ship them via cargo! Of course, there are the other obvious benefits for everyone: we humans get to meet, and do our business the old fashioned way: IN PERSON, plus puppy gets hand to hand transfer, instead of being put in a crate by themselves and off to the unknown. I also can accomodate overnight/weekend guests & visitors to our place to visit/pick-up puppies.
For those who are somewhat close in driving distance, we also can make arrangements for us to personally deliver your puppy/dog for fuel, accomodations and a small per diem as necessary.
Thanks for reading, and as I'm well sure I've forgotten things to list, further questions, comments, and/or input is always welcome!
JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds